Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Rattlesnake Orchid


This may or may not be exciting to those of you reading our blog, but I really love God's creativity especially in nature. I really enjoy looking at the details of plants and trying to identify them.

So I noticed a small group of leaves amongst all the dead, dry leaves at the beginning of Spring this year. They were bright green when nothing else was and they had such a striking pattern on them. I determined I would keep an eye on them and see if any flowers bloomed.

Finally some did this past month and I started looking to identify them. It took some searching, but I finally found it: Rattlesnake Orchid or Downy Rattlesnake Plantain. From the little bit of information I've found about it, it's kind of rare. It's endangered in Florida, according to the USDA.
Here's a little more info about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment